There probably are hundreds of different brands of steam irons for many purposes such as laundry, travel, garment steaming, quilting, cordless, commercial in the market today. All of them have different features and are priced from under $20-50 to even over the $200 mark. It can be confusing to choose good quality clothing iron and which comes at a reasonable price. Different steam generator iron brands and different models deliver different results. As a buyer, you must also know that price does not necessarily reflect the quality or the performance of a steam iron. The best clothing irons, however, stand out from their counterparts and can be identified with a little scrutiny.
Which Steam Iron is Best to Buy?
In 2019, concentrate on the features the iron delivers rather than its aesthetic appeal. Lookout for uniqueness. Some steam irons incorporate new technology that is not available in the other models. Identify those ones especially if there is little or no price difference. Go for clothing irons that offer high performance while requiring little or no maintenance. Safety is also an important factor to consider. It is important to go for a model that offers automatic power off after a period of inactivity, especially for domestic use. A good clothing iron must be easy to glide while ironing and should be light enough. It should be made of durable material and shouldn’t be bulky to reduce storage challenges.
Our In-depth Reviews:
- Best Rowenta Iron
- Best Black and Decker Iron
- Shark Iron Reviews
- The Best Ironing Board
- Best Over The Door Ironing Board
- The Best Handheld Travel Garment Steamers
- Best Clothing Steamers
- Top Quilting Irons for Sewers
- The Best Cordless Steam Irons
- The Best Homz Ironing Board
- Best Garment Steamers for Curtains & Drapes
- Best Tabletop Ironing Boards
- Best Ironing Mat
- Best Stainless Steel Iron
Top 10 Clothing Irons of 2017, 2018 & 2019 – Expert Review
We have made a list of top rated, best selling, cheap & affordable clothing irons from which some of the irons are under $50 / under $100 and few of them are above $200 too to help you take your clever decision in no-time. Let’s have a look.
1. Rowenta DW5080 Focus Iron
This is a German made iron that comes in taupe. It is the most popular Rowenta brands under the $100 mark and is among the top highest rated steam irons. The iron combines ergonomic controls that are easily readable and adjustable. It has been designed to offer ultimate precision and maximum control. It has outstanding steam generation capability unavailable to brands with less than 400 micro holes. Read our full review of Rowenta DW5080.
2. The Rowenta DW8080 Pro Master
This is a professional grade German made iron that comes with a comfort grip handle and an extra large water tank. It has one of the most powerful short of steam feature available in the market that melts creases effortlessly on any fabric. It is very similar to the DW5080 but comes at a cheaper price. Read our full review on Rowenta DW8080 to know more.
3. The Rowenta DW5197 – Partner of Fashion Focus
This German-made iron offers powerful performance; combining high power and very generous steam generation thanks to the Rowenta technology. It is a very reliable iron crafted for the special needs of designers and tailors. Unlike many other irons, it does not go off even after long period of stationary use making it appropriate for tasks like embossing or pleating. It also comes with an ergonomic thermostat knob for heat precision. Read our full review on DW5197 to know more.
4. Rowenta DW9280 Steam Force Iron
This is one of the most aesthetically appealing Rowenta models combining high power, ultra-modern technology, and brilliant performance. This German make, though costing close to $150 delivers professional results in considerably short time. It combines LED indicators and a steam motion sensor for efficiency. It also comes with a one-touch control and a digital LED display for ease of use. Read our full review of Rowenta DW9280 Steam Force to know more.
5. Sunbeam Steam Master GCSBSP-201-FFP Clothing Iron
This is an American brand that is relatively low priced possibly because it is manufactured in China. It nonetheless delivers good results even though it does not incorporate high-end features. For easier removal of creases, It has a dual spray mist button. It also comes with a large water tank and 1400 watts of power. To enhance its looks and increase durability, It has a chrome finish. Read our full review of Sunbeam Steam Master.
6. Black & Decker D3030 Allure Iron
Even though this model has its manufacturing China, Black and Decker is An American brand that has been respected for many years. The D3030 combines high power and dynamic steam technology and promises high-quality results. It comes with a comfort grip handle with ergonomic features for comfort and ease of use. Read our review on Black+Decker D3030 for more info.
7. Black & Decker D2030 Digital Advantage Professional Steam Iron
This is one of the most popular black and decker brands and one of the best selling irons. It comes with a heavy-duty sole plate that easily presses creases and a digital display that allows the choice of appropriate steam level, temperature, and fabric setting. It fits nicely in the hand and has a comfort grip with ergonomic features. Read our full review of Black & Decker D2030.
8. Panasonic NI-E660SR Adjustable Steam Iron
The most outstanding feature of this model is that it has a U shaped base and has a curved sole plate. When ironing, the pressure is concentrated at the center of the plate rather than the tip allowing easier movement and less strain. It also allows for less tugging. This model also functions as both a steam and dry iron with steam level settings. Read our full review on NI-E660SR to know more.
9. Shark GI505 Professional Steam Iron
This is a model that has charming looks a heavy sole plate with advanced stability. It has an easy electronic selector for different fabrics and beautiful led indicator lights for the thermostat. It is a high power iron which promises superior steam generation and professional results. Read our full review of Shark GI505 to know more.
10. SINGER Expert Finish 1700 Watts Steam Iron
The singer is one of the world’s most trusted brands. This iron has not gained the many positive ratings and reviews for nothing. It combines excellent power and innovative steam features to combat even stubborn wrinkles. A break from the rest, it possesses an open tip that is very effective in ironing button areas or pleats. It comes with a limited 2-year warranty from the manufacturer. Read our full review of SINGER Expert Finish to know more.
Which Steam Iron You Should Choose to Buy?
Even though the Rowenta DW2070 is promising on the features and looks, many customers found out that it had issues with leakage and its water tank depletes too quickly. Based on its quality and the features its packed with, The Rowenta DW8080 is likely to be the best steam iron below the $100 mark. However, it is rivaled by another way cheaper brands which offer almost similar features. The tfal FV4495 offers more power than the Rowenta DW8080 and comes with a 12-foot cord compared to the 8 foot for the Rowenta.
The T-Fal FV4495 comes in a ceramic soleplate which is superior to the stainless steel offered by the Rowenta. However, the Rowenta offers 400 micro holes which is unique. Even though it offers less power, the Panasonic NI-W810CS also comes in the ceramic soleplate and offers multi-directional moving having double tips. It is obviously a better choice than the Panasonic NI-E250TR. The only iron that rivals the T-Fal FV4495 is the black and decker D2030 and surprisingly these two costs the same. It is difficult to say who outdoes the other between the two.
Factors and Features to Consider When Buying Clothing Iron
- Power Wattage: The higher the power wattage, the quicker the iron heats up and the easier it is to remove creases.
- The Sole Plate: The plate should be made of a durable material and one that does not stick to clothes. Common materials include stainless steel, anodized aluminum, and ceramic.
- The Purpose of The Iron: Different irons achieve different results and are built for different purposes. There are some steam irons that are built specifically for professional use and might not be suitable for home use because they may lack some certain features.
- Steam Out Put: Some irons have a higher output of steam than others. If you regularly work with difficult fabrics, an iron with high steam generation is more appropriate.
- Weight: Some clothing irons are considerably heavier than others. While a heavier iron has its advantages, it certainly has its drawbacks.
- Self Cleaning: Some irons come with a self-clean function that allows them to flush out dirt and other deposits that might have accumulated inside. This makes them require less maintenance.
- Anti Calcium System: This feature allows steam irons to operate without accumulating calcium and other mineral deposits which result from the use of hard water. This, therefore, allows the user to use tap water.
- Automatic Off: This feature allows the iron to cut out power automatically after a period of inactivity reducing the chances of fires.
- Length and Type of Cord: Some models come with short cords while others are longer. Some cords are also easily entangled while others are retractable allowing ease of use and storage. Some more modern models have incorporated wireless cord technology.
- Size of The Water Tank: Clothing irons require to be filled with water so as to produce steam. The bigger the tank, the less the frequency of refills.
In-depth article: Clothing Iron Buying Guide
Tips on Choosing The Best Clothes Iron
- Choose an iron with good quality material: Ceramic is the best material for the sole as it is durable and glossy and therefore glides easily. Stainless steel is also equally suitable as it does not scratch and is long lasting.
- Choose a high watt power over low watt iron: A higher watt steam iron heats faster and is likely to produce more steam over a low watt iron.
- Choose an iron that has Vertical steam and variable steam features: Vertical steam option allows you to straighten clothes even when they are still hanging on the hanging lines. The variable steam gives control over how much steam the iron produces.
- Choose an iron that has a higher number of holes for steam output: The higher the number of holes, the more the steam that can be released. Micro-holes are also more preferable than macro holes as they are more effective.
- Choose an iron that has self-clean features and anti-calc system: Self-clean allows the iron to rid itself of dirt and impurities. Anticalc feature increases the lifespan of the clothing iron and makes it possible to use tap water for the tank.
- Check the size of the tank: A larger tank is not depleted as quickly as a smaller tank. There are irons that offer tanks as big as 12 ounces
- Choose the type of the cord: A retractable cord is definitely more desirable than one that does not.
- Price: Some models have high-end features which makes them expensive however there are some cheaper brands that offer advanced features.
- Importance of Ergonomic handle and controls: The handle should be smooth and comfortable to hold. Some models have anti-slip handles and are generally more comfortable to use than others.
Suggestion: Our In-depth article on steam iron features will help you understand the above features and extra-ones, much more properly!
Our Guides & Resources for Steam Iron, Ironing Board & It’s Accessories
- Dry vs Steam Iron – Which is good to buy? (Check latest)
- Cheap vs Expensive Steam Irons
- Clothing Iron Buying Guide!
- Which are The Most Important Steam Iron Features?
- How To Choose An Ironing Board?
- Comprehensive Review Of Steam Irons From 2012-2016
- How to Properly Iron Shirts, Pants & Skirts
- How to Choose The Ironing Board Cover?
- How Do You Get Sticky Residue Off an Iron?
- Steam Generator vs Steam Iron, Which is Better?
We would be glad if you provide your honest input on which Iron is the best to buy to help others find the affordable steam iron.